Friday, December 23, 2011

Why I'm an advocate, not a doctor

Here are five reasons why it's a good thing that chose the road that led me to be an advocate rather than a doctor. A pre-Christmas reflection on my life and how 2011 changed it entirely.


I can't spell sloth, I'm too lazy

I think I'd flunk the first couple of subjects right off the bat. My brain is built to be haywire and my personality is far too free-spirited to last the confines of the medical discipline. Yes, I do love learning, and I love tinkering with the human body, but again, I'm lazy. I'm better off spending my energy into something that I know would be well utilized, voicing out my beliefs and my need for a better society.

Books are my sedatives, they induce snoring

Surprisingly enough I managed to scratch through board reviews and get licensed as a nurse. The thing about it is though, I really find text books boring. The amount of love I have with learning and health is totally equal to my loathing of educating one's self through the written word. I love reading novels, but when it's for school, I seem to always find an excuse to yawn and stretch. As compared to being an advocate, it's more half-and-half. You learn from writings and experience. It's a win-win on my part.

I'd have to sell myself to pay-off my tuition

We're pretty much below the average income line, I suppose. We've struggled, and we manage, but I've learned early on that medical school was so not even in the picture. Funny though, how opportune though, since the perseverance and the wanting I had experienced proved useful in pursuing employment that I sought for and managed to get in the bag. Most especially the one I'm in now, who introduced me to this advocacy, who gave me my purpose.

Patience, what's that?

I want to see results, fast. I'm sort of a fixer-upper kind of person. I plan long term, yes, but when I encounter problems, I attend to it, pronto. It's a real asset for working in an NGO, it's a no-bullshit kind of living which is highly needed. As a medical student, I have to be real patient. Imagine years of education to end up only entering the real world in your late 20s? Uhm, no thanks.

I don't have the luxury of time, far too many things to do

Package deal with the hyperactivity, highly-distract-able-itsy-bitsy-attention span, is my ambitious life-plan. Even though it's constantly changing as years pass, there's still this very basic blue print that I follow and thankfully enough, I've been scratching off as done. Yes I would have been happy being a doctor, and I would have asked ridiculous amount of money from people I look at, would have been filthy rich and all, but that goal is just a small part of my plan. I have so much more in the list of what I want to do.

Funny enough, the NGO and my advocacy offers to fulfill all of this and so provide me so much more. They just want me to go through everything. And that I am willing to do. Darn, Euro-trip, soon!

-----

Truth be told, I would have been happy either way. I love helping people, it's pretty much etched in the core of my being. It tends to be annoying for others actually, but given the possibility of the all the good things I could share, I say, heck, let's get the ball rolling. Either way, I am still a nurse. Actually it's got the best of both worlds. So I'm not going to complain.

Merry Christmas all!

No comments: