Monday, August 08, 2011

Yoga For Life

The harmony of body and consciousness. This is the goal not only of people living with HIV (PLHIV) but of almost everyone I know. In this day and age of stress taking a hold of our lives, a peaceful haven is hard to find. Yoga For Life, I have found, is a place where I could let my mind rest.


Yoga For Life, also known as YFL, is a group that "aims to promote yoga in the Philippines as an effective complementary therapy to western medicine for those living with HIV, as well as a supplementary venue for convergence among those who live with, are affected by, and support the fight against HIV."



The brainchild of Charmaine Cu-Unjieng and Paulo Leonido, they offer classes for everyone and that literally means everyone. Whether or not you've done yoga before, male or female, whatever your HIV status, everyone is welcome.

My experience as a participant and practitioner in the Yoga For Life community has been one of solace. The group is both warm and welcoming and I never once felt out of place. They also eased me into the practice of yoga and now I'm comfortable with almost all of the poses. You really have to sweat it out though, so don't forget to bring a towel, a change of clothes and a bottle of water.


For more information, please visit their site at http://www.yogaforlife.ph. Namaste.

(All photos, videos and links are borrowed from the YFL Facebook site. Thanks Pau.)

No comments: